Monday, August 17, 2009

Chronicles of the Newbie Expat - part I

My journey of becoming an expat started last Saturday. I flew out of Egypt (my primary homeland) and headed for my second homeland. I hadn't been to the UK for just less than 2 years. As usual I loved it and loved the spirit of adventure that came hand-in-hand with travelling and discovery of new places. Despite this, I couldn't help feeling a longing to go back to the life I was leaving behind. It was a stable life - el humdulilah. Now I felt like I was stepping into the abyss of the unknown. These bubbling emotions were not much to do with the fear of being alone and fending for myself. I didn't fear living or surviving on my own. I looked forward to building up my life and career in my new home. It was more to do with the deep longing to stay with what I was leaving behind. There are numerous things I will miss dearly.

I look forward to the day I reunite with these things...

No comments: