Friday, November 14, 2008

New Pyramid Discovered!

Egypt truly is the land of the pyramids and hosts one of the greatest heritages man has to cherish. There have been 100+ pyramids discovered in Egypt. I'm sure there are many more buried in the dunes of time. Two alone were discovered this year - one this last month.

One clear day I went up to the Moqattam plateau in the heart of Cairo and could count about five pyramids lined up across, where the western desert meets the Nile banks. I could see the three on the Giza plateau, the Djozer stepped pyramid of Sakkara and as I recall two from the Dahshur pyramids (the bent and the red pyramids). The great pyramid of Khufu is the last remaining ancient wonder of the world. The bent and red pyramids were built for king Snefru (father of Khufu). I haven't actually been to Sakkara and Dahshur. I can't believe I haven't...hopefully soon...



I'm surprised I haven't written more about Ancient Egypt, especially since I've been deeply fascinated by it ever since I was a kid. I even contemplated doing an Egyptology major in university - that would have really changed my life! :D

The link to the latest pyramid discovery:
HERE

No comments: