Saturday, December 01, 2007

Particle Systems

This graphics course has been one of the most enjoyable course I've ever taken. It is something else when you can see what your creating and fiddling around with.

My final project is going to deal with particle systems. Particle systems are what are used to render what are called "fuzzy phenomena". Examples of fuzzy phenomena are: fire, smoke, liquid...etc. These are all quite difficult to render using the conventional rendering methods. The simplest and most basic particle systems is where you represent each particle by a pixel. More complex particle systems represent the particles by 3D meshes or metaballs.

Here are examples of particle systems:



I hope to create scenes like these...

2 comments:

Mohammed said...

When i first saw the pictures, I thought they are yours...:D...Don't worry...It is matter of time dude.
So, I had the chance to work on particle systems for a short period, and i came accross a DirectX book that has a devoted chapter for Particle Systems..As far as i remember, It is "Special Effects Game Programming with DirectX"...Keep it up

Tarek El-Gaaly said...

Thanx man. Yeh I heard of that book. I did actually create particle systems in the end el humdulilah. But I was using openGL. I think a friend of mine gave me that book. Ill check it out. Thanx again,